Merry Christmas from Me to You.💕

I started creating resources for music educators because I wanted to share my experience. Since 2016, I have gained followers and I have felt so supported by the elementary music community. At this time of year, I always like to give back with sme freebies. This year I have been using jamboards for creating socially distant B sections. For 4 to 9 year olds, this is using what they know to create something new. My digital Christmas Card gives you access to 5 jamboards I have used with my students successfully. Let’s take a peek.

Acka Backa – Kindergarten 

Beginner rhythmic reading at the kindergarten level uses language rather than conventional note reading. My kiddos would use the word LONG for the big fish and SHORT SHORT for the little fish.

Process

• Introduce the poem/song by rote.
  • Choose a student volunteer to create a B section by moving visuals onto the empty beats while you recite the poem.
  • Say/Play the rhythm as a contrasting section. To make the B section longer, repeat the pattern.
  • Continue playing with new volunteers.

Star Light – Grade 3

I use this jamboard after introducing Star Light to my beginner recorder players. It helps solidify their note reading skills and they begin to see themselves as creators. You will note I did not add rhythm. We are focusing on melodic contour using G and E on this particular jamboard. Next steps would add rhythm elements.

Process

• Introduce Star Light through your recorder instruction.
  • Choose a student volunteer to create a B section by creating a melody using G and E
  • Play the rhythm as a contrasting section. To make the B section longer, repeat the pattern.
  • Continue playing with new volunteers.

Bubble Bubble – All grade levels

I fell in love with this poem this year. I use jamboards as a whiteboard to post visuals as well. Finding your singing voice starts with these vocal explorations.

Process

• Introduce the poem by rote.
  • Choose a student volunteer to create a B section by choosing and tracing a vocal exploration pathway. Students create the pathway with their voices.
  • Continue playing with new volunteers.

Down to the Baker’s Shop – Grade 3

This is a gem I use every year and I usually would have stations set out for my students. They create rhythmic B sections using baked goods. We use it as an introduction, or a coda, or as a contrasting section. It’s a great initial creating activity for the beginning of the year.

Process

• Introduce the song by rote.
  • Continue playing with new volunteers.

2,4,6,8 – Grade 1 and 2

This worked really well as a review of ta, titi, and rest.

Process

• Introduce the poem by rote.
  • Continue playing with new volunteers.

I hope you enjoy these little jamboards. When you click the Christmas Card, it will open a presentation view of a google slide. Click each present and you will be directed to make a copy of the jamboards. Voila, some new stuff for January. I hope you all have a safe and happy holidays.

Take care,

Syndi